If there is no custody order

If there is no custody order, and your son has been in your care for over a year, I’m guessing that your state courts have jurisdiction over the boy and not Florida (at least I would attempt that argument).

So get thee to an attorney posthaste and see if you can file for custody in your home town. That will place the mother in the unenviable position of having to hire an out-of-state attorney (for her) to argue why she should now have legal custody.

IF you are VERY lucky, the court may decide that it would be too traumatic to make a 3 yo suddenly take up a new permanent residence, especially if you can show that you took an active part in your son’s development.